Thursday, March 7, 2013

Award Winning Turkey Meatloaf!


At times I dream of being on Top Chef. I just imagine the feeling of nervous and delicious energy in the room as an awkwardly dressed Padma (Seriously, who wears silk and chiffon in a kitchen...?) sashays in and starts the clock racing on a challenge that confounds, dazzles, and delights contestants and viewers alike. I'd knock the competition out one by one, to the approving grin of Tom Colicchio (secret crush...not secret anymore...) and in the end, with a heart-stopping pause the decision would be read " Lisa! You are Top Chef!"

The following recipe would not win me that competition. Most of the ingredients could be found in your local Winn Dixie, Food Barn, Piggly Wiggly or whatever other Small Town, USA grocery story you can think up. But, there's something to be said for simplicity. This meal is simple comfort that you don't need to feel too guilty about it. And what does Chef Gusteau (of my favorite Disney movie of all time, Ratatouille) say? Anyone can cook. Seriously, anyone can cook this meal and feel like a champ. And, while you may not win $150,000 furnished by the makers of Healthy Choice, you know what you will win? Praise, accolades, and applause from the most important audience of all...your family and friends. :)

Now, I've tried many meatloaf recipes in the past. I've substituted everything from organic, fire roasted tomatoes, to steak sauce, to an apple bbq glaze for ketchup. And, while those are good, this one is my favorite. And it uses the least pretentious ingredient in your kitchen...good ol' ketchup. I hope you'll try it! And leave me a comment here if you do...let me know what you think!

2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrots
4 cloves minced garlic
1 1/4 lbs. ground turkey
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 egg
1/2 cup ketchup
4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
handful of fresh chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter in your skillet and drop in the chopped onions, carrots, and garlic for 5 minutes or so until they're nice and bubbly, and the onions are translucent. The kitchen smells amazing already.




Remove this mixture from the skillet and set aside in a bowl to cool for a few minutes. Once it's cooled, add to the mixture the turkey, bread crumbs (I happened to make a nice loaf of herbed garlic bread a few days ago and zipped that up in my food processor for bread crumbs. Fresh is always better!) half of the ketchup, half of the Worcestershire, salt, pepper, thyme (little tip, roll dried thyme between your palms before adding to warm it up release the flavor), and parsley. 




The key here is not to over-mix it! I've used this tried and true method with my meatballs and burgers. Mix it with a fork! It incorporates everything together in a lovely lump of deliciousness while not overworking the meat so that it becomes tough and dry when you cook it. Once it's all mixed together thoroughly, press it into 8x4" loaf pan and brush the remaining ketchup mixed with Worcestershire sauce on the top. (It will be a thick coating. That's a-ok! Thats what you want, in fact!)


Pop that sucker in the oven at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. This gives the humble ketchup time to work its magic. The sugars caramelize and get crispy to make the most delicious crust. That crust (not only tastes  deee-licious but) seals in all the flavor underneath. It should come out looking a little something like this! 


Let her cool for about 5 minutes before cutting. In the meantime I suggest whipping up a special sauce to drizzle over the top. Who needs gravy when you have this melange of merriment!?

1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Sriracha (or more...if you're like us!)
salt
fresh ground pepper
garlic powder
dried thyme. 
Mix that all together in a bowl, until smooth, adding more Worcestershire till you can drizzle it. 


Slice up your meatloaf, top with fresh, chopped parsley, and drizzle your special sauce on top and around the plate, Top Chef presentation style! I served this with a simple garlic, mashed potato, and an arugula parsley salad with lemon/garlic/olive oil dressing. The peppery arugula and citrus dressing is a perfect complement and really cuts through the richness of the meatloaf and mashed potatoes. 


Try this! You will not be disappointed. You can have a hearty portion (about 1/5 of the whole thing) for right around 300 calories. Also: Cows everywhere will thank you. 

Awards and Accolades:
"I can't lift my head up off the table cause I ate so much Award"- Ryan
"I can smoosh this meatloaf into these potatoes and make a face Award"- Lana
"The meatloaf you dropped on the floor is mighty tasty, now let me lick your face Award"- Sea Salt
"I will be packing my knives for the night but I'm not going anywhere Award"- Yours truly...until the next meal...

 














1 comment: