Thursday, December 15, 2011

Farewell, red velvet...

We hand pick each and every one of our offerings at Bird in Sea Vintage so they become like precious little children to us. We're just fostering them until they find their permanent home. When I saw this handmade, 1960s treasure on a seemingly normal day of thrift hunting I knew I had found gold. Red. Velvet. Gold. She was jammed in the racks between over-sized shoulder pads and pilly, acrylic sweaters. She was, however, not shy. She practically screamed at me and grabbed my attention. She was pristine. But her metal zipper and bit of exposed, yellow thread told me that she didn't take herself too seriously. We were a lot alike. I named her Holly Berry and we became best friends.


Forlorn...



So, while the purpose of our shop is to..... sell, my heart can't help but tug a little bit when one of my favorites flies off the virtual rack. And, when I got the Etsy notification that Holly Berry had sold I had a moment of joy (Yay! Money!), followed by a moment of (decidedly overdramatic) sadness. 

I contemplated mourning her loss with an evening of red velvet cupcakes and Cupcake brand Red Velvet wine. But, that might be a bit extreme... (Not at all. I'm definitely doing this...) So, to the future owner of perhaps my favorite dress of 2011, congratulations. Please treat her kindly. You don't have to have her in by midnight if you don't want to...in fact, please don't. She likes to party. 



6 comments:

  1. Not to sound insensitive, but can I come to your dress mourning party? I want cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I think we can work that out. Can you bring the cupcakes and wine? K, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on! Don't talk about cupcakes and wine around the preggers! Mama hongry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so know what you're going through sister! I find that I have never regretted letting anything go after the fact though. Pluuus, there's kind of that thing where you feel okay about letting it go because at least you have darling pictures of yourself in it (like here!).

    My boyfriend built the Cupcake wine website :-) It is good stuff! And the actual red velvet cupcakes- please. Who comes up with this amazingness?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! Thank you for the sympathy, lovely Violet. This is my darling sister-in-law in this dress. She's too cute for words. But I'm so glad we documented Holly Berry having a fabulous time.

    Cupcake wine...mmmmm...Does your boyfriend get any perks?? (ahem, free wine) Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, Lolo...we'll have cupcakes soon...Gotta feed your new little bird baby!! <3

    ReplyDelete