Thursday, December 8, 2011

Let me post this while nobody is looking

Hello. I'm Lisa. This is my first blog post. Welcome.

Someone asked me why I named my blog "My Sister's Closet". It's a good question. I've pondered the title for a while. If you've ever been to my twin sister, Lauren's house you may have an inkling as to why I chose this title. If not, let me clue you in on the wonder that is her closet.

Do you need a pair of jeans to wear this weekend? No problem. Do you need 17 pair to choose from? My sister has that for you. Did you want light blue? Dark blue? Something skinny and modern? Something shredded and vintage? Low-waisted? High-waisted? Hold on, she'll go to the back and see if she can find that for you....and she'll come out with three or four pair that all fit the bill. It's that amazing. Unless you want acid-washed jeans. I'm pretty sure she has nothing acid-washed. But my Dad may be able to help you out with that.

Do you need a scarf that matches a mustard colored blazer you just picked up at Goodwill? She'll shuffle through fringed vests, embroidered dresses, and macrame, beaded bags to find you the perfect one...or perhaps the perfect four. You may think some are hideous, but that's ok. She won't take it personally. She'll just explain why she loves it and grab you something else.

And, the wonders of her closet reveal themselves even more fascinatingly when I ask for something extremely specific. For instance, here is a re-enactment of a conversation we recently had...the details may be fuzzy, but you get the idea:

Me: (picks up phone) Ring..Ring...

Lauren: Hey Li! 
(My 2 year old nephew is in the background yelling up a storm or drilling with his little, wooden tool set , or dancing like a crazed lunatic to a song about tractors...)

Me: Emergency! I need a vintage sweater..something cream or pink, and cropped to wear over that black tank dress you gave me. 
(Yes, I understand that this doesn't constitute as an emergency by any stretch of the imagination)

Lauren: Ok, hold on. I think I have something for you! 
(ruffling and jingling through "the" closet)
Yes, I have this little, vintage pink wool one. I also have that cotton one that I bought when we were at Beacon's Closet last fall...Oh yes, wait! You said cream or pink? And cropped? Yep, I have 5 for you to choose from. I'll bring them by tomorrow

Me: Excellent!
(breathes huge sigh of relief at my self-proclaimed crisis averted)

And, it's generally as simple as that! Fortunately she's extremely willing to share, unless it's something she hasn't worn yet. That's usually the rule. Is her closet organized? That depends on who you ask. My sister knows where every little thing is in that glorious 5'x5' space. Now if you ask anyone else to find something in there, I'm not gonna lie. They might have a bit of a problem. And, while I certainly wouldn't call it "organized" it is sorted in a way that makes sense. Maybe not to anybody else, but to her it does. And, that's the endearing part.

The simple answer to the question posed at the outset is that I didn't want to pigeon-hole myself into talking about just one thing. I have been wanting to start a blog for a long time now. A good friend (and fellow writer) told me to stop procrastinating because I was wasting time. She told me I should just write about my life...which seems simple enough, right? I started out thinking this blog was going to be about the Etsy store that my sister and I run together, Bird in Sea Vintage but that's just a small snippet of what I feel compelled to write about. So, there will certainly be vintage-loving posts for our vintage-loving readers. But there will be more.

Like the vintage treasures in my sister's closet, my thoughts are not always organized. But I know where each and every one of them are. And like half of those scarves, you may think some of my ideas are hideous, but that's ok....

Maybe the next thought that passes through my fringed, embroidered, macrame beaded brain will catch your interest.

8 comments:

  1. Aw Lisa! What a wonderful post and a marvelous first post at that! Keep it coming, I love it already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Shannon! And, congratulations on being my first comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy first blog!!I love it! I guess i'm a little bias since the blog is about me:) How narcisistic!(Spelling??)
    Lolo

    ReplyDelete
  4. you captivated my interest li!! great job!! can't wait to read more.....xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was awesome hun!!! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love love love love it! im hooked already...allssoo i love you;)) you're inspiring me lol...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys *blushing* .. I love you all!

    ReplyDelete