Monday, December 19, 2011

Would you drink it in a box? Would you drink it with a fox?

Oh, boxed wine. May I extol your virtues for a minute?

I admit...I was a bit skeptical to try wine out of anything other than a glass bottle. As far as I knew, boxed wine was most definitely reserved for the corner of a graduation party where the only options are Juicy Juice, generic cola, some sort of punch with an unidentifiable flavored sherbert floating in it, Tang, and a box of dusty Franzia. (Which, lets be honest- while not ideal, is better than no wine at all) 

Enter this month. I can't say it's been exactly a good month. Actually, if you're going to rate months on a scale of "Sunshine and Rainbows" to "Skull and Crossbones", this one falls right around "A Rotten Apple". I made a high-tech graphic to illustrate this:







So, when the last bottle of  "Two Buck Chuck" (a term of endearment for Trader Joe's Charles Shaw...he may be cheap, but he's always there when I need him...) went flying off of my shelf, it was time to replenish. In the interests of economic resourcefulness my eyes glanced over to the boxed wine section (gasp) at my local liquor store. I have to say, I was surprised. There was the good old standby Franzia but there was so much more! So, I picked out a Malbec by Bota Box. Yes, you're correct. The Recyclable packaging appealed to the tree hugger in me. The box is made with corn starch glue and soy based ink, and weighs less than the bottles it would take to hold the wine inside so the carbon footprint is low. (That's what everyone looks for in wine, right? No? Ok, let's get to the real stuff then...) Now, I don't know all of the right terms for tasting wine. I'd say the flavors are layered and the deep purple color is appealing. There were blackberry notes, with a slightly bitter, yet pleasing, finish. And that would probably all be true. But, my official review is- This. Box. Rox. And, it seems by the awards and accolades on the side of the packaging, others (who know what they are talking about) would agree with me. At $19 for 3L you can't really go wrong! And, I got it on sale for $17.99! We're moving towards "Sunshine and Rainbows" for sure now...


So, next time you're in your local liquor store, hold your head high and grab a Bota Box of wine! You will not be disappointed! And, feel free to add a comment if there's a box you think I should try. I'm open to suggestions. And, if you have a fox... I'll take that too. 

I will drink it in a box!
I will drink it with a fox!
I will drink it in a house!
And I will drink it with a mouse!
I will drink it here and there!
Say! I will drink it anywhere. 

Other things in boxes that I like:


             



8 comments:

  1. Oh, you slay me. Also, LOVE the rainbow brite/skull 'n crossbones graphic. I think "rotten apple" is an understatement. If I had to describe your month, I'd have to liken it to that huge turd that we found in High Point HS's locker room, coupled with the ensuing panic of my child. Yup. That's more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I remember that day well!! While I was trying not to be so morbid...you, my friend, make a valid point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Especially enjoyed the skull and crossbones! I believe this past 2 months of my life would favor that side as well! I have to say you sold me on the boxed wine. If only they made boxed scotch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan, I read that last line and though it said, "boxed crotch," to which I would love to reference a conversation your wife and I just had, but it's extremely inappropriate, so I won't. Just know that it involves Justin Timberlake, Andy Samberg, and a box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know not what you speak of... *innocently whistling*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your writing! I'm still cracking up. And your amazing graphic! Rainbow Brite is my totem.

    Thanks for the wine rec, 'tis the season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm...quite intrigued! I must try this boxed wine...also love the post...also love u.♥

    ReplyDelete